Bottled up the cider on saturday. For some reason it’s kind of watery. It went from 1.060 to 1.010 3 days and then I bottled it up. It’s not even really dry. Just sweet but watered down tasting. I don’t even know.
Started up a gallon of simple cider that will be ready just in time for thanks giving. Started out at 1.060 and should be down to 1.020 in the next few days. Also finishing off a stuck metheglin (spiced mead) with ale yeast. Hopefully it finishes up in time for christmas.
I will get some photos soon. Maybe not though, because I am pretty apathetic about blogging.
Now that I have returned to and decided to stick with my brewery name, I asked a friend of mine to draw up a logo for me
PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NSFW MATERIAL AT HIS TUMBLR!!!.
I got the image and threw this label together. I am happy with how it came out. Simple and to the point.
NOTE: I tried everything and could not get the pictures rotated. Deal with it.
So I finally got my new equipment set up. 15 gallon kettle, 2 burner brewstand (academy sports frycart), and biab pulley system. Decided to break it in with a BIAB parti-gyle brew session. Now to be clear, I may be doing something not so parti-gyle, if I am I don’t realize it. The documentation about parti-gyle-ing (legit word) and BIAB is hard to find at best. However, when you think about it, it is pretty straight forward. I just did the no sparge BIAB method. However, I skipped the usual mash out phase and saved that for my second runnings. Based on what I found online for tradtional parti-gyle brewing, my two batches would be .010 over and .010 under (respectively) my target OG of the overall 10 gallon batch recipe. I hit that pretty much on the head, being only .003 over my target OG’s for each batch. Not too shabby or winging it. As far as water volume, I went with beersmith for my initial mash volume and just subtracted the absorbtion from my first runnings to calculate my second mash volume. Also, for my OG’s, I built the recipe as a 10 gallon batch, then upped the efficiency to 80% for the first runnings and lowered it to 40% for the second. I was off by about 5 percent.
First off, a shot at the new set up.
And the command center.
Doughing in and mashing for the first runnings. I did a standard 60 minute mash at 154* F.
After and hour I hoist up the grains (need to revise the pulley system, as 10 gal worth of grains are mighty heavy after a mash).
After letting the bag drain out 7 gallons of wort, I drained off the first runnings and set them to boil.
Hops weighed out.
45 minutes later (30 minute “remash-mashout” and the grains draining for 15 minutes) I have my second runnings, which I promptly set to a boil.
Chilling the first runnings (OG 1.070. Only off my projected OG by .0003 on the h)
And the second runnings (OG 1.037. Once again only off by .003 on the high side)
And after a long, hot, trying brew day…